Promoting School Readiness
- AppleTree Institute Washington
Online tools for teachers and data-sharing with parents are just two of the ways Apple Tree creates a foundation for academic achievement that lasts well beyond preschool.
- Abriendo Puertas
A program that helps Spanish-speaking parents be their children’s first teachers and get them ready to learn in school.
- Early Steps to School Success
Strengthen parents in isolated, rural communities and children come to school ready to learn.
- National Center for Family Literacy Louisville, Ky.
When immigrant parents and small children go to school together, the results include children with higher reading levels and families who can help them achieve.
- Parent-Child Home Program Garden City, N.Y.
Teaching the value of play combined with learning, this home visiting program sees the payoff years later in the achievement of third-graders.
- Parents as Teachers St. Louis
Home is the first schoolhouse, as this program shows through its work with families and communities.
- Reach Out and Read Boston
What are pediatricians doing with picture books? They’re using medical check-ups to distribute books and boost reading readiness nationwide.
- YMCA of the USA Chicago
When grandparents, neighbors and friends are providing daycare, this Y program helps these informal caregivers see how they can prepare their young charges to succeed in school.
Preventing Chronic Absence
- Burton Elementary School Grand Rapids, Mich.
Clear expectations and an attendance committee that solves problems keeping children from school have dropped chronic absences significantly.
- Early Childhood Learning Services Fort Myers, Fla.
High fives and morning songs for children combine with home visits and data shared with parents keep preschoolers in class.
Combatting Summer Learning Loss
- Building Educated Leaders for Life, or BELL Boston
Small-group tutoring, an evidence-based curriculum, and lots of individual attention mean reading gains in BELL’s six-week summer program.
- Charlotte Y Readers Charlotte, N.C.
The secret sauce in this program’s reading achievements? Fun and a strong partnership with schools.
- Freedom Schools Partners Charlotte, N.C.
Working with the Children’s Defense Fund, this local program reverses academic decline and creates community over the summer.
- Horizons National Norwalk, Conn.
Starting with kindergartners, Horizons helps students improve their academics and learn to swim in a model that is replicated through the commitment of local donors in new communities.
- New Mexico K-3 Plus Albuquerque, N.M.
Turning summer into a jump start, more days in school give early learners time to excel, first in a few districts, and now statewide.
- Summer Advantage Indianapolis
Learn how one program’s pledge to “stay lean, stay virtual and leverage technology” increased enrollment by 400% in two years to help more students learn over the summer.
- Summer Literacy Collaborative Boston
United Ways, school districts, and nonprofits dedicated to children come together in a innovative program that has children clamoring to read over the summer.
Supporting Quality Teaching
- Children’s Literacy Initiative Philadelphia
Tossing a pebble in the pond, CLI trains teachers to mentor their peers and spreads best practices to reach more children than could ever be achieved one by one.
- Growing Readers Initiative Central Falls School District, R.I.
A charter school and school district team up for dramatic reading gains.
- Milwaukee Community Literacy Project Milwaukee
Schools partner with the Boys & Girls Clubs to make learning cool – and spark a love of reading in school, after school, and at home.
- Minnesota Reading Corps
The largest state AmeriCorps program harnesses people power to help lagging readers reach grade level.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Arlington, Virginia
Teachers look at their own craft and together “become like a SEAL team” to help their students achieve big gains in reading.
- Reading Partners Oakland, California
A volunteer program uses a focused curriculum and one-on-one attention to get measurable reading results.
- Reading Recovery Worthington, Ohio
By stepping in early with short-term individualized help, Reading Recovery brings 75% of struggling students to grade level within a year.
- Success For All Foundation Baltimore
With reading as a central focus, SFA puts cooperative learning at the heart of a highly structured approach that will reach 1 million kids by 2015.